Are Halberds unwieldy?

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Are Halberds unwieldy?

Postby vonpenguin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 am

Because my copy of GOT edition says the aren't but that doesn't make any sense to me.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Are Halberds unwieldy?

Postby Legate » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 am

Not Unwieldly, but Two-Handed.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vonpenguin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:19 am

Yes but it still baffles me that there's no rules reason to not use a halberd from horseback.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Legate » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

The Two-Handed req does make riding a horse and using a halberd somewhat problematic.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby vonpenguin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Most warhorses are trained to respond to leg pressure aren't they? I mean otherwise how would someone properly use a shield or horse bow? Sorry to keep asking stupid questions. Just trying to figure this out.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Legate » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Not a stupid question, but I am struggling to think of an example of were I have heard of a halberd being used from horseback. I had always considered it an infantry weapon.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DaimosofRedstone » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 pm

It is more a matter of practicality.
You can use pretty much anything you can wield from horseback.
But everything you use from horseback is normally meant to be used while riding by a target.
For that you normally need to strike low and to one-side. That is quite difficult with a weapon you need two hands for, especially if you do not want to fall of the horse.
Quite big axes were used from horseback, but always with provisions allowing them to be used onehanded.
I would slap everyone trying to use something like that with a severe penalty to both fighting and damage, because staying in the saddle would take precedent and lower the pratically viability of the weapons.
DaimosofRedstone
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Postby vonpenguin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Legate wrote:Not a stupid question, but I am struggling to think of an example of were I have heard of a halberd being used from horseback. I had always considered it an infantry weapon.

So have I. It's why the lack of unwieldy struck me as worth asking about.

DaimosofRedstone wrote:It is more a matter of practicality.
You can use pretty much anything you can wield from horseback.
But everything you use from horseback is normally meant to be used while riding by a target.
For that you normally need to strike low and to one-side. That is quite difficult with a weapon you need two hands for, especially if you do not want to fall of the horse.
Quite big axes were used from horseback, but always with provisions allowing them to be used onehanded.
I would slap everyone trying to use something like that with a severe penalty to both fighting and damage, because staying in the saddle would take precedent and lower the pratically viability of the weapons.

Well that's what the quality in question is for. to punish those trying to use an infantry weapon mounted. I was just trying to confirm that, yes that quality should be there and it was some mistake that it's not listed.
vonpenguin
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Legate » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Well, considering the pole-axe and pike also have the "unwieldly" quality, perhaps the Halberd was overlooked and should have it as well.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Carriker » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:37 am

Yup. Good catch, folks.

The halberd should have the Unweildy trait. I've added it to the list of to-be-implemented errata for some future iteration of the errata rules.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby superbat_99 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Another question about Halberds I have the Pocket Edition and noticed they do not have the reach quality,
are they supposed to?
superbat_99
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG