GoT Edition PDF vs. PDF Version 1.1 vs. Original Edition

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

Re: GoT Edition PDF vs. PDF Version 1.1 vs. Original Edition

Postby Kival » Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 am

If my merchant of trust ;-) can order it, I'll probably order it tommorow. I'm very curious about the changed benefits for wargs, as one of my players is on his way to one... (he already has third eye though, so I don't know if it will be possible to convert it into the new rules).
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby rulandor » Sun May 06, 2012 11:06 am

Third Eye is gone from the rules.

Greensight is now based only on high Will (5).

The would-be Warg starts with having an Animal Cohort.
As a Warg Dreamer, he can sometimes experience the doings of the Animal Cohort while dreaming, even try to influence it.
The Warg can then slip conciously into the Animal Cohort.
A Skinchanger, who must be a Warg, can slip into other animals as well.
Warg-Beasts are also introduced. These are warg companions whose warg is dead (or missing, as with Arya and Nymeria).
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Kival » Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 am

I see. So there is now only pure Greensight and now weak form of prophetic powers?
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby memorax » Mon May 07, 2012 5:00 am

With respect to Carriker when a company has not one not two but three attempts to make a core book and still somehow makes mistakes with the process well the fans imo have a right to be unhappy. While GR has implemented solutions all heavily slanted in their favor. If I want to buy a corrected version of the book I need both the print and the PDF. So a purchase that would cost me 50$ is now going to cost me 70$. For myself I prefer print version over PDF and only purchase PDF as a last resort. Now if GR would post a free PDF document that included not new rules just all the errata I think that would go a long way to make so fans happy. As it stands the only person who benefits from this is GR imo.
memorax
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Captain Liberty » Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 am

/agree with memorax.
Captain Liberty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Mon May 07, 2012 6:02 am

Kival wrote:I see. So there is now only pure Greensight and now weak form of prophetic powers?

Greensight is everything but weak. A green dream can either be a premonition or a portent. A portent is quite powerful. It is symbolic and metaphoric, but it is true.

Also, you don't need to buy another quality as prerequisite. The ability prerequisite is steep (Will 5), but that's it.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Kival » Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 am

rulandor wrote:
Kival wrote:I see. So there is now only pure Greensight and now weak form of prophetic powers?

Greensight is everything but weak. A green dream can either be a premonition or a portent. A portent is quite powerful. It is symbolic and metaphoric, but it is true.

Also, you don't need to buy another quality as prerequisite. The ability prerequisite is steep (Will 5), but that's it.

Oh, there was a "w" too much. I meant there is NO weak form of prophetic powers anymore (like the third eye).

memorax wrote: Now if GR would post a free PDF document that included not new rules just all the errata I think that would go a long way to make so fans happy.

I'm confused now. I thought that's exactly what they are going to do?
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby rulandor » Mon May 07, 2012 6:15 am

Kival wrote:Oh, there was a "w" too much. I meant there is NO weak form of prophetic powers anymore (like the third eye).

Oh, that weak form is covered by premonitions. Green Dreams will be premonitions in most cases, as the Narrator commits herself/himself to future events by granting a portent - although, in my book, he should now and again if a gamer has invested in Greensight.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby memorax » Mon May 07, 2012 6:29 am

Kival wrote:I'm confused now. I thought that's exactly what they are going to do?

We have access to a PDF that we can buy that has the errata included. A free PDF with just the errata and no new rules has not yet been offered. Or if they did I may have missed reading up on it on their site. Yet unless I'm mistaken the only way to get the version with errata is by paying for it.
memorax
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Carriker » Mon May 07, 2012 3:01 pm

We will be offering exactly that. In point of fact, we'll be offering two Errata documents: one that updates the previous edition books to the GoT rule-set, and one for the errata that's been discovered in the GoT book.

So, yeah.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby Kival » Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 pm

memorax wrote: Yet unless I'm mistaken the only way to get the version with errata is by paying for it.

To be clear: The errata (for the GOT book) is not finished but it will be for free when it is finished.
Kival
Cohort
Cohort

Postby memorax » Mon May 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Good to know. I may still wait for a second printing of the core book yet having free errata may make me reconsider buying the first printing.
memorax
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Wulfgar22 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 pm

I placed an order with my local shop here in the UK yesterday but saw mention on RPGnet of lots of errata and mistakes. So I came to this forum and read this thread which has done nothing to allay my fears.

I've cancelled my order for the moment...a shame as I was pretty excited about picking this up. What would help is if Green Ronin made clear the extent of the issue. Everything so far has been rather vague. Are we talking a dozen pages of errata? Or just a page or two? Is there more errata for the GoT Edition than for the Pocket Book edition? If so how many more pages?
Wulfgar22
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SamH » Mon May 14, 2012 4:37 am

I don't think Carriker has been vague at all. He wrote:

I do want to emphasize that a small number of old rules did indeed creep back into the rule-set. But it really is a very small number, by far outweighed by the errata properly implemented, and other rules brought up to date for the first time.

I haven't harped on this fact because I don't believe in arguing with customers in a public forum. But the good in this edition far and away outweighs the "bad". It's a book I'm inordinately proud of, a book that the vast majority of folks who have purchased it have loved (and been vocal to us about loving it).

There absolutely will be a PDF of Errata. There absolutely will be updates to the PDF edition of the rules, allowing those who have that PDF to re-download the corrected one.

A few mistakes were made, the vast majority of errata were put in place and there are new rules. I would feel perfectly comfortable buying this edition based on this information, had I not just bought the first edition recently, errata and all.
SamH
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Legate » Mon May 14, 2012 11:00 am

I have to say that I am surprised by the amount gripeing going on here. Sure, SIFRP has a few problems, but it certainly doesn't have any more then is usual for an RPG, I might say that I have certainly seen a lot worse. I have the Pocket Edition, and granted, I have had to read over some things a couple of time to make sure I understand the rule in question (things could be worded a little better in some places). But, overall I have to say that the system is one of the best that I have seen in over 20 years of RP experience. As it hasn't been said too many times here...Good job GR! Keep up the excellent work.
Legate
Henchman
Henchman

Postby phild » Fri May 25, 2012 2:28 am

Carriker wrote:We will be offering exactly that. In point of fact, we'll be offering two Errata documents: one that updates the previous edition books to the GoT rule-set, and one for the errata that's been discovered in the GoT book.

So, yeah.

Looking forward to this coming out. I've been doing some work with wanderingcrow to update my Excel Chargen sheet, and I would love to make it 100% compatible with the new edition.

When it's ready it would also be great if GR could replace the version currently on their site to the version. The sheet, like the RPG itself, has been carrying a few errata for a couple of years now. It's not just Green Ronin who don't get things right first time ;)
phild
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Carriker » Fri May 25, 2012 5:22 am

phild wrote:When it's ready it would also be great if GR could replace the version currently on their site to the version. The sheet, like the RPG itself, has been carrying a few errata for a couple of years now. It's not just Green Ronin who don't get things right first time ;)

One of us! One of us! ;)

Sure. Once it's in a state that you're satisfied with, send it my way. carriker (at) greenronin (dot) com. I'd be happy to see that it finds a home on the site. Thanks for the cool effort, too.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby wachunga » Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Still working on the errata, Carriker? I don't want to pester, but it has been about a month. There can't be that much errata since the GoT edition, can there?
wachunga
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 am

wachunga wrote:Still working on the errata, Carriker? I don't want to pester, but it has been about a month. There can't be that much errata since the GoT edition, can there?

I am still working, yes, in addition to answering emails, redlining future books, answering translater questions, generating art notes, prepping books for final printing and tending to questions like this one on our forums.

Also, I work part time for Green Ronin. :)

But yes, it's almost done.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby jyster » Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 pm

It looks like the GoT edition has the original messed up character sheet thats missing languages.
jyster
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Mon May 28, 2012 6:02 am

jyster wrote:It looks like the GoT edition has the original messed up character sheet thats missing languages.

What do you mean with "looks like"? Either it is so, or it is not so.

Well, it is not so. Originally, Deception was missing, not Languages. In GoT Edition, this is corrected.

I hate the internet. Somebody says something, which is blatantly wrong, and then it's there for all to read.

So, achievements are put in a wrong light, and such bias will remain and be brought up by search engines until Judgment Day. This is infuriating.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby jyster » Mon May 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Woops my bad, its just out of order.
jyster
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ser Richard » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:28 am

One of the people in my group just got the book, and hasn't really found any "errors" this game seem error free compared to some of the games i've played, my real problem with the pocket book was chart placment which as i understand they fixed, that right there is enought for me.
Ser Richard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Carriker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Errata is live, folks.

SIFRP: Game of Thrones Edition Errata PDF: http://grfiles.game-host.org/gr_files/G ... Errata.pdf (This does not include the changes made to the Qualities that simply clarified the intent of the rules; it only includes changes to Chapter Five in the actual rules of the Qualities)

SIFRP: GoT Edition Chapter Five, in Whole: http://grfiles.game-host.org/gr_files/G ... .v.1.1.pdf (This is a full reworking of Chapter Five, implementing all errata, both in rules and clarifications)

If you have purchased the PDF, please log into the site where you purchased it. They should have an updated PDF, with all errata implemented, for your download.

Thank you for your patience. And for those who weren't patient, thank you for your enthusiasm. :)
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Green Ronin Publishing
--
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby ajwsavage » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:39 pm

It's funny - there is much much less errata than I was led to believe on these forums...
ajwsavage
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG