GoT Edition PDF vs. PDF Version 1.1 vs. Original Edition

Talk about Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling fantasy series. Winter is here!

GoT Edition PDF vs. PDF Version 1.1 vs. Original Edition

Postby Zeroed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:03 am

Hi everyone,

I have pre-ordered the Game of Thrones Edition, and I got the PDF as well in the process. Upon first reading of the Destiny & Qualities chapter, I quickly noticed that while some Benefits have been updated to clarify the rules, others that were changed in the updated PDF (Version 1.1) are now back to the way they were in the Original Edition.

Here are a few examples:

- Improved Armor Mastery: "Decrease the armor’s penalty to Combat Defense by 1" is removed again.

- Pole-Arm Fighter I: "Opponents you hit take normal damage and are knocked to the ground" has been changed back to "Opponents whose Combat Defense you equal or beat are knocked to the ground."

- Sinister: "you gain a +2 bonus to your Combat Defense and Intrigue Defense" has been changed back to "your opponents take -1D on all Fighting and Persuasion tests made to attack or influence you."

Were these rollbacks to the original versions implemented intentionally or are they simply an editing mistake in the Game of Thrones PDF that should be corrected before the finished book is released?

Thanks for clarifying this for all of us.
Zeroed
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: GoT Edition PDF vs. PDF Version 1.1 vs. Original Edition

Postby Mrjamespj » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:19 am

Good finds. Another minor thing I found is that the Noble archetype has Ward listed as a Benefit and it should be a Drawback according to chapter 5.
Mrjamespj
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Slynt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:01 am

You know, at the risk of sounding like a douchebag, this is why, for the first time since the first rulebook was published, that I have withheld preordering. I want one decent book with as little flaws as possible. the first rulebook was barely usable what with all the errata.
Slynt
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby crowofpyke » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:29 am

Hopefully, if the PDF is available now for people to read and the hardcover book is still at the printers... All of these issues can be fixed BEFORE the book is actually printed.

I love the fact there are fans of the game out there that are dedicated enough to go through the errata and FACT CHECK the proposed new "Game of Thrones Edition".

If there are tons of errors and old errata making there way in, and out, of the new edition.... Well, I will NOT be buying it.
crowofpyke
Bystander
Bystander

Postby rulandor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 am

I am now a bit concerned as well. Perhaps files were used which predated the Pocket Edition? That would prove the principle: if you update a file, delete ALL earlier versions relentlessly. Let not a single backup survive!

Is there more information about this? Are the rules an upgrade of the original book OR of the Pocket Edition? In the first case, I wouldn't buy the GoT edition.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Lord Ben » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Where did you buy it from with this PDF? I usually do my purchases through RPGnow and was wondering if maybe they're still selling the old PDF instead of new?

I never knew improved armor mastery had errata....
Lord Ben
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zeroed » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Lord Ben wrote:Where did you buy it from with this PDF? I usually do my purchases through RPGnow and was wondering if maybe they're still selling the old PDF instead of new?

I never knew improved armor mastery had errata....

No, it's the new one. I bought it from Green Ronin.
Zeroed
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jon Snow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm hoping it was intentional. I prefer these versions of the three you mentioned :)

Especially, Sinister - I like it affecting others and wasn't thrilled when it was changed. Just hope the Hound, in the new GoT campaign guide stat block, gets it :D
Winter is coming
Bonds of Blood and Honor
Jon Snow
Devotee
Devotee

Postby trystero » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Cross-posted from http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10722:

• p. 155, Armor section, Bulk subsection, paragraph 2:
    The reference to p. 160 for the Sprint action should be to p. 164.
trystero
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Captain Liberty » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Is the PDF of the GoT edition already available??
Captain Liberty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mrjamespj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:51 am

It was if you pre-ordered the GOT edition book, don't know if it can be purchased seperately yet.

Anyone know what the release date for the book is expected to be?
Mrjamespj
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Mrjamespj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:55 am

Looking at both threads there are a fair few errors such as all NC's having longswords with piercing 2 yet this is not in the weapons actual qualities, I hope the PDF can be updated and the book corrected, please note I'm not meaning to sound like a whiny sod, just I wouldn't want a book full of errors so I hope by us pointing this stuff out it can be corrected before release.
Mrjamespj
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby orcface999 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:59 am

PDF is available for $20 at RPGNow.
orcface999
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jyster » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 am

All the errors with the last few books is one of the reasons I never bought them. I did get the pocket edition.

Selling the pdf first to help find all the errors is a good idea, never really thought of that. If the new edition comes out with alot of errors again, I will just wait until a second printing with errors corrected, or just not buy.

Companies need to error check their products more before they are released. It is getting tiring buying a first printing and wishing you waited for a second or third printing to deal with errors.
jyster
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mrjamespj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Just stumbled on another one:

Mute Drawback:

"Whether born this way ory maimed in later life, you are incapable of speech."

Just figured we should try and find as many as we can in the hope that they can be corrected.
Mrjamespj
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Captain Liberty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Can we please get an official response as to if these errors will be corrected in an updated PDF AND before the print release? I hope the print version isn't full of these errors.
Captain Liberty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lord Ben » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of holding off buying it to make sure that my money spent on an updated and corrected version is actually well... updated and corrected! :)
Lord Ben
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Captain Liberty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:45 pm

That is exactly what I've been doing.

Lord Ben wrote:Yeah, I'm kind of holding off buying it to make sure that my money spent on an updated and corrected version is actually well... updated and corrected! :)
Captain Liberty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mrjamespj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 am

Page 243 and 246, the image of Dag's Inn is used twice and there is no picture for The Great Stag inn.
Mrjamespj
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby rulandor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 am

Captain Liberty wrote:Can we please get an official response as to if these errors will be corrected in an updated PDF AND before the print release? I hope the print version isn't full of these errors.

Seconded. It would be reassuring to now what is happening. Was the print run stopped in order to make use of all findings in this thread? Or is the printing going along with all these new and old mistakes?

How unfortunate that Joe Carriker is just now moving flats, as he hinted at in another thread. We can only hope that Green Ronin themselves have stopped the print run up until the developer will have had enough time to deal with the problem.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Carriker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Hello, all. I'd like to take a moment to address some of these concerns.

First and foremost, I apologize for the mistakes that don't even have the decency to be brand-new mistakes, but are things that should not have found their way back into the material. It is altogether too easy for such things to occur in a project of this size.

The Song of Ice & Fire line didn't have a full-on developer whose job it was to curate this sort of thing for a very long time, and I came aboard in the eleventh hour of preparing this book for print. As a result, while I went through and changed out what I thought was everything from the various Errata threads on the forum, I seem to have missed a few. It also seems that there were a handful of updates that were never actually on those threads, but were implemented on-the-fly, as it were.

In any event, these are reasons, but not excuses. I take full responsibility for those mistakes - it was my job to see them fixed, and while I did indeed update the majority of the errata, a handful of them slipped through.

Understand that in order to be able to present this material, our books have about a three-month process after we're done creating them, just to get printed and shipped to us. Even as we speak, those books are on their way here. As you've all pointed out, there are a handful of errors in the PDF, the content of which is identical to the book. Now, while we will of course be updating the PDF and making it redownloadable for every who have it, I'm afraid the raven has already flown with regards to the book.

Rest assured that we have implemented changes not only in how this line is run, but in all of Green Ronin's lines to proactively address the handling and dissemination of errata. We are establishing internal processes to help maintain the integrity of our rule-sets despite transitions through creative teams, so that we can nip this kind of thing in the bud and keep it from happening again.

Thank you for your sharp eyes, and your patience. You guys are the best.
--
Regards,
Joseph Carriker
Developer, Song of Ice & Fire
Green Ronin Publishing
--
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - Jojen Reed, A Dance with Dragons
Carriker
Ronin Joe
Ronin Joe

Postby rulandor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Carriker wrote:The Song of Ice & Fire line didn't have a full-on developer whose job it was to curate this sort of thing for a very long time, and I came aboard in the eleventh hour of preparing this book for print. As a result, while I went through and changed out what I thought was everything from the various Errata threads on the forum, I seem to have missed a few. It also seems that there were a handful of updates that were never actually on those threads, but were implemented on-the-fly, as it were.

Well, if most of the errata have really been corrected and only some have come aboard newly, and some older versions have reappeared which are not necessarily errors, the book can still be the version with the fewest mistakes yet.

Typos and one or two off page-references are the bread and butter of publishing. They creep up everywhere, and I do not really mind them - as long as the frequency of occurence remains reasonable.

You know what? I am still going to buy this book.
rulandor
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby stew31r » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Is there going to be any kind of notification of when the updated PDF will be available?
stew31r
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Captain Liberty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Thank you so much for the official response. I am buying this book now!
Captain Liberty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby trystero » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Obviously I'd love for the print edition to be perfect, but that's never going to be practical. I'm glad the corrections will be incorporated into the PDF, and the problems pointed out so far are not enough to stop me buying the print edition. Thanks for the response, Joe!
trystero
Dabbler
Dabbler

Next

Return to A Song of Ice and Fire RPG