The Call to Adventure

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

The Call to Adventure

Postby Saisei » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 am

Just interested to know what peoples all time favourite adventures are, GR published or otherwise.

Are they pre-made one or ones that were created by you or a friend? Why did you love them? Why were they memorable?

I think personally one of my favourite games was one I GMed. It was a Unisystem game based on the Supernatural TV show. I came up with the idea myself basing it on one of America's 'Most Haunted Places', a guest house called The Myrtles.

The game was so memorable and fun because I had real-life stories to draw on. There were numerous legends about the Myrtles and the people who had died there and there were in-depth articles on which were true and which were made up. I could use these to throw red-herrings at the players, or use them as inspiration for the game. So I had a lot of back up and research there ready for me and for any inquisitive player.

The game was memorable because over the course of 4 hours we only picked up the dice maybe 5 times. Huge amount of roleplay and everyone was just in the right mood. One of my players conducted a seance in character and both myself and the other players got chills.

It was just a fantastic experience and it was the shared story telling, excitement, drama and fun that makes me love roleplaying.
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: The Call to Adventure

Postby timemrick » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 am

For GR titles, my hands-down fave is The Freeport Trilogy. I should point out that I'm extremely biased here--doing fan errata for Freeport landed me my first gig with GR, which was revising the Trilogy for 3.5. For my first 3E campaign, I had already decided to include a lot of Lovecraftian elements, so when I saw Death in Freeport in the stop, it was a dead-easy sell. I ran the full trilogy, with a handful of short adventures in between, and the players still talk fondly about that game, warts and all.

One memorable non-GR adventure was "Winter Holiday," from Polyhedron Newszine. This was a short, humorous AD&D 2E adventure, which had my players groaning at all the Christmas-themed puns (seven swamis swimming, six geese melee-ing, etc.). I encouraged them to create silly characters, so the party included a pretty-princess dwarven cleric of Amaterasu, and "Fabio the Fair, of the fey folk," a flaming gay elf enchanter. Fabio's crowning moment was at the final showdown. His impassioned,improvised speech as the party burst in on the bad guys--all flawlessly in character--had the rest of us laughing so hard that I used GM fiat to give the PCs a surprise round. It was his most combat-effective action of the entire game.

I could go on, but I do have some other stuff that needs to get done today... :P
timemrick

Return to General Discussion