Adventure Game Engine (AGE) mechanic information

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

Adventure Game Engine (AGE) mechanic information

Postby gefahrmaus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:48 am

I must give a HUGE shout out to Chris and GR! I don't play video games much, hell, I don't own a "console" (save a Wii for my daughter) and have no desire to buy a PC (I like having my Linux and Windoze running in a VM, there when I need it for a platform test of some kind).

But Damn... at the FLGS the other day and DragonAge is appealing. Let me count the ways it appeals to a grognard like myself: 1) boxed set, 2) intro levels! 3) marketing genius!

You win! But I didn't buy... because I can't find anything on the web about the AGE. Nothing on Wikipedia (a great source for game engines, paper and bit alike), and no introductory PDF at GR.

Something to give me a taste. I like the familiar, give me something to make the game familiar to me and I could be a buyer and player.

Chris P. and GR have already proven to me they can make (remake) a game, e.g., WFRP 2e--is that no. 4?--but if I'm going to start playing and invest effort in seeding a group, I need more.

Just a thought. Otherwise, know that you've burned something in my psyche that tugs at my wallet. :)
Another WFRP 2nd Edition Refugee

Another Caffeinated Day
My mixed topic blog with a decided nerd bent

Inns of the Empire
My WFRP tool inspired by the work Henrik Gronberg

Panzerblitz: Hill of Death
I am Grognard
gefahrmaus
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Adventure Game Engine (AGE) mechanic information

Postby flyingcircus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:57 am

If you liked that, get a hold of the TRUE 20 system books. They're really good as a universal system, I am still waiting on the 2nd Dragon Age box set myself. :green:
flyingcircus
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby gefahrmaus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:48 pm

flyingcircus wrote:If you liked that, get a hold of the

What is the "that" in this sentence? DA or WFRP 2e?

While I like the presentation of Dragon Age, I haven't bought Dragon Age for the reason cited: give me a taste of the AGE in a quickstart or sample of combat or skill resolution, explain the core mechanic, something that will push me over the edge.

And while I love, I mean love, Chris' work in WFRP 2e, it's not because I have any affinity for d20 as a system. WFRP 2e is not d20. I love WFRP 2e because it remained so true (there's that word again) to work of the WFRP 1e, only much improved.

As you are waiting on the 2nd Box Set for DA, do you have the first release? Can you break down the core mechanic?

Another Caffeinated Day

Inns of the Empire

I am Grognard
gefahrmaus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 pm

If you look on the Dragon Age page, there's a bunch of stuff you can check out. There are design diaries, PDF excerpts of the game, and sample characters you can download.

http://greenronin.com/dragon_age/
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby gefahrmaus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks Chris.

I think I missed the Designer Diaries on my first visit if only for the titles, especially "Heart of the Game." In hindsight, that maps pretty well to "Core Mechanic" but I first read it as "How Dragon Age the RPG is like the Dragon Age the video game"

Good stuff! Much thanks!

How about something on the "stunt system" too... i think that's what it's called reading the back of the box.

Another Caffeinated Day

Inns of the Empire

I am Grognard
gefahrmaus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby psychodrive » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:09 am

gefahrmaus wrote:

How about something on the "stunt system" too... i think that's what it's called reading the back of the box.

As a quick summary, you have probably read that basic ability rolls are made with 3d6. In combat (non-combat is left to houserules), if you succeed at your attack roll (or spell casting roll) and you roll doubles, you gain stunt points equal to the face value of the dragon die.

That is, if you roll 3d6=2+2+6 and the 6 is your dragon die, you gain 6 stunt points.

These are used to enable a selection of mechanics, including extra damage and quick reloads. A list of physical and spell stunts are is provided with the set ranging from a cost of 1 to 4(?) stunt points each.

Stunts can be combined, so if you have 6 stunt points, you might choose to cause extra damage, make it all armour piercing and knock your opponent prone.

Most importantly, players should be encouraged to narrate the manner in which they accomplish these spectacular feats.
psychodrive
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zapp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:05 pm

As for the original question, the whole of Box Set 1 can be seen as an extended preview of the AGE system. As an introductory product its great, but as I said, as a complete and mature rpg system, it really doesn't cover much more than an extended preview might show.

Only with Box Set 2 will it be possible to get a clearer picture of the whole system.

And of course all four box sets need to be published (possibly excepting the fourth) before there can be an AGE system reference product.
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby gefahrmaus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:02 pm

It is done. I have a copy of the DA Box Set.

Chris, pitch perfect. Thank you. It's a great package. I feels like a game that can grow quite well. I hope GR will do so!

Great art. Great setting.

Hey, what' the iconic's name on the cover of the GM guide? ;)

Another Caffeinated Day

Inns of the Empire

I am Grognard
gefahrmaus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby YourSwordisMine » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:54 am

gefahrmaus wrote:Hey, what' the iconic's name on the cover of the GM guide? ;)

That would be Morrigan. She is voiced by Claudia Black in the video game.

Standing behind her is an Ogre....

And welcome to Dragon Age!
YourSwordisMine
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby gefahrmaus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:15 pm

LOL... I got the ogre part. :)

Another Caffeinated Day

Inns of the Empire