True20 Love or Lack Thereof

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

True20 Love or Lack Thereof

Postby BPEXPLORER » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:52 am

New to the boards...and confused.

I've been a big fan of GR's d20/OGL stuff for a while, they're one of the cornerstones of my fantasy RPGing.

I've been getting the itch to run sci-fi campaigns again and picked up True20 Revised to see if it would be a good candidate for sci-fi gaming with my kids or my regular gaming group.

I like what I see. It appears to be very customizable.

However, I have ZERO desire to invest in Yet-Another-RPG-That's-Dying-on-the-Vine (trademark pending). I've read CP's latest interview on GR's 2010 plans. I've read the Dragon Age designer diaries. I recognize that the product focus is going to go where the greatest demand/opportunity lies.

That said, I'm kind of shocked True20 wasn't picked for the Dragon Age engine. It seems to satisfy the easy-to-learn requirement, could have been packed into the box set breakdown, and allowed for d20/OGL cross-utilization. I found the "True20 powers wouldn't model DA:O magic well" claim surprising to say the least. ASoI&F getting a brand new rules set I can understand as GoO had produced an OGL version.

So what's the story? Is True20 a GR cornerstone or not? Am I better served looking at a newer or more established sci-fi RPG?

I'm interested in the True20 supplement books but these days I've got to try and spend my gaming dollars towards stuff I'll actively use. I really don't like spending most of my time developing rules which is why I like actively supported RPGs. (I'll handle the NPCs, campaigns, & adventures.) Another reason for desiring active support, is so I can have a better chance at finding people willing to play should my current group fall apart.

Sorry to be blunt and I don't wish to seem combative. I've just been down the road of dead/stalled RPGs too often. True20 appears to be a great game. I just wish to ensure it's one with some staying power.
BPEXPLORER
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Zapp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 am

It's possible Green Ronin is about to start up yet another game line: http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 3337#83337

Also, you might be interested in reading this.
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby flyingcircus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 am

I have all the True20 stuff as well from GR and enjoy the system, it is nothing more than Blue Rose revised or M&M 1st edition really which I also have. Its very easy to throw together your own worlds and info in it, as far as follow up products, you might want to look into 3rd party supplements, there are several out their and more keep popping up all the time, GR main part seems to be dead and going towards newer system designs, possibly to break away from the WoTC d20 system restrictions, etc, etc. Which I don't blame them one bit, the less WoTC clones out there the better I feel, I miss the old days of the wide selection of systems to choose from. :green:
flyingcircus
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Pramas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 pm

We have provided a lot of True20 support, as have a host of third party companies. True20 Ancients: Rome is coming up but other than that we are concentrating on Dragon Age, M&M, and Song of Ice and Fire this year. We may swing back around to True20 but this year we just don't have the manpower.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Postby flyingcircus » Tue May 11, 2010 4:11 pm

TRUE20 ROCKS! :P
flyingcircus
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Katowice » Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 am

Sorry, I'm inclined to disagree with you...until you publish True20 V for Victory. :D

Pramas wrote:We have provided a lot of True20 support, as have a host of third party companies. True20 Ancients: Rome is coming up but other than that we are concentrating on Dragon Age, M&M, and Song of Ice and Fire this year. We may swing back around to True20 but this year we just don't have the manpower.
Katowice
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Kommando » Wed May 12, 2010 1:54 pm

I've followed True20 since Blue Rose, and I'm of the opinion that with the announcement of DC Adventures RPG, and its counterpart M+M v.3, that this might be a good time to consider revising True20, making it more usable with GRs Flagship system.

For the most part, True20 a nice generic system with a lot of potential. With rules for fantasy, science fiction, action/adventure, not to mention the settings that came with the system as well as from 3rd party sources. If the system were revised to make it more in line with the upcoming games, GR would have a larger customer base to draw from.

In the last couple of years, it seems as though True20's biggest competition is indeed M+M. If I want to play a fantasy game, do I go with something that's not quite D&D and not quite M+M, or do I buy Warriors and Warlocks? If I want gritty pulp age adventures, do I opt for something that's not quite d20 Modern, or do I just pull out my Golden Age supplement?

Personally, I like a lot of the innovations from M+M. Mainly, the Point Buy System which really makes it stand out from other systems derived from the OGL. Its been popular enough in the True20 community that its been reversed engineered and several True20 compatible variants have emerged over the years. It makes me wonder if True20 could live without the level advancement that have been the hallmark of the d20 based systems over the years?
Kommando
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Shadowchaser » Tue May 18, 2010 7:00 am

Kommando wrote:I've followed True20 since Blue Rose, and I'm of the opinion that with the announcement of DC Adventures RPG, and its counterpart M+M v.3, that this might be a good time to consider revising True20, making it more usable with GRs Flagship system.

For the most part, True20 a nice generic system with a lot of potential. With rules for fantasy, science fiction, action/adventure, not to mention the settings that came with the system as well as from 3rd party sources. If the system were revised to make it more in line with the upcoming games, GR would have a larger customer base to draw from.

In the last couple of years, it seems as though True20's biggest competition is indeed M+M. If I want to play a fantasy game, do I go with something that's not quite D&D and not quite M+M, or do I buy Warriors and Warlocks? If I want gritty pulp age adventures, do I opt for something that's not quite d20 Modern, or do I just pull out my Golden Age supplement?

Personally, I like a lot of the innovations from M+M. Mainly, the Point Buy System which really makes it stand out from other systems derived from the OGL. Its been popular enough in the True20 community that its been reversed engineered and several True20 compatible variants have emerged over the years. It makes me wonder if True20 could live without the level advancement that have been the hallmark of the d20 based systems over the years?

I understand my experiences aren't universal, but I'd suggest trying the Warriors and Warlocks supplement.

Actually, I've been using M&M for fantasy games for the better part of a decade now without any problems.
Shadowchaser
Bystander
Bystander

Re: True20 Love or Lack Thereof

Postby clark24 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 pm

I for one would like to see more support for Green Ronin's official settings, like Freeport and Blue Rose.
clark24
clark24
Bystander
Bystander

Return to General Discussion