Imitation is flattery, or what do you say?

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

Imitation is flattery, or what do you say?

Postby Zapp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:11 am

I'm talking about the obvious similarities between the upcoming D&D Essentials and Chris' own Dragon Age approach:

1) it's a boxed set - the return of boxed sets is frighteningly sudden (if you didn't keep tabs on what GR were up to, that is)
2) it's introductory (although I am convinced Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game will, like all its predecessors, ultimately fail where Dragon Age Box Set 1 might just succeed)
3) it offers only a small subset of all planned levels (although Dragon Age offers a full 25% while Essentials offers only a miserly 6,7%)

What do you think?

(Especially you, Chris! :) )
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby angel_lord » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Just FYI, the DnD Roleplaying game Starter set is a boxed set, and came out in 2008 - some time before DARPG.

There was also a boxed set for 3.5. Really, the resurgence of the idea has been building up for some time.
angel_lord
Dabbler
Dabbler

Re: Imitation is flattery, or what do you say?

Postby Maliki » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Zapp wrote:I'm talking about the obvious similarities between the upcoming D&D Essentials and Chris' own Dragon Age approach:

1) it's a boxed set - the return of boxed sets is frighteningly sudden (if you didn't keep tabs on what GR were up to, that is)
2) it's introductory (although I am convinced Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game will, like all its predecessors, ultimately fail where Dragon Age Box Set 1 might just succeed)
3) it offers only a small subset of all planned levels (although Dragon Age offers a full 25% while Essentials offers only a miserly 6,7%)

What do you think?

(Especially you, Chris! :) )

This was my first thought when I heard of the D&D box set, there are very similar sounding products. While I'm not a fan of 4E, this product has caught my eye and I may break down and buy it at some point. Either way I think it is a good idea by WotC (but this should have come out much sooner IMHO), and a good thing for pen & paper games in general, like DA this will hopefully draw more people into table top rpgs in general, and that his a good thing.
Maliki
Booster
Booster

Return to General Discussion