Dragon Age or Song of Ice and Fire

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

Dragon Age or Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Zapp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:19 am

Green Ronin have recently released not one, but two, main lines of fantasy games.

The games are different, but their themes and realism levels share some similarities.

Now; which game do you feel will be the successful one?

Green Ronin have an unfortunate history of doing one-offs (releasing a core rulebook, then moving on to greener pastures).

I can only afford one fantasy game line. Furthermore, I want that game line to be rich in supplements and especially ready-made adventures and campaigns.

I know Green Ronin can pull this off, because both Freeport and Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition (through Games Workshop's imprint) fulfill these basic criteria. (I'm sure M&M do too, but I'm a pure fantasy buff)

However, I'm convinced the sheer manpower involved makes it extremely unlikely Green Ronin will be able to develop BOTH game lines into a rich library of supplements. Both contain the potential for rich, mature story-lines and grand campaigns. But which one will Green Ronin have the stamina and perseverance to deliver to meet that potential?

Which of SIFRP and AGE, if any, do you believe will evolve into such a rich game line over the coming year?

Consider it a poll, if you like:
(1) SIFRP
(2) AGE
(3) Neither
(4) I like flowers! And polls! Even fake ones, like this one!
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: Dragon Age or Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:00 am

Zapp wrote:Green Ronin have an unfortunate history of doing one-offs (releasing a core rulebook, then moving on to greener pastures).

I have to ask: where does this perception originate?

So far as I can recall, the only "core rulebook" GR ever released as a standalone was Ork! which was, after all, meant to be a standalone. Every other core rulebook we have published, at least in my time with the company, has seen supplements and support.

How does that translate into "an unfortunate history of doing one-offs"?
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Zapp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:02 am

Sorry Steve, but this poll is directed towards the community, not the staff. :)

Feel absolutely free to question the premise of the poll, but please be courteous enough to do so in a new thread. Otherwise that will derail the purpose of my thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Zapp
Last edited by Zapp on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 am

So far as SIFRP and Dragon Age are concerned, I think if you're looking for pre-packaged adventures, the Dragon Age line will see more of those, whereas SIFRP will tend more towards source material and pre-packaged set-ups for whole campaigns, where the Narrator supplies the connections for the home House and related entanglements. DA is more given to "adventures" in the traditional RPG sense, whereas SIFRP is more of a sweeping political/family drama.
Steve Kenson
Green Ronin Publishing
Steve Kenson
Ronin Steve
Ronin Steve

Postby Juuso » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Iffen it don't have pirates, I ain't interested! :yar:

But seriously, I haven't given much thought to buying either of the games. Firstly, I am in no way interested in anything related to the console/computer game. Didn't want to buy it even if some PC gamers are frothing about it, I know I will hate it like I have hated 90 % of all so-called computer RPGs. And consequently, I am pretty suspicious about a p&p RPG based on such a computer game. But that's just me.

As to the SIFRP thingy, I am not familiar with it, it's based on a series of novels, right? Maybe I should read one or two first? I guess they must be good to warrant a whole RPG product line, and not just popular?

I would hazard a guess that the Dragon Age might be popular at least in the short term, simply because it get more publicity through the video game. It seems to be the tactic many RPG companies have adopted, to lure video gamers into real RPGs. That's a good thing too. I am not at all sure how popular SIFRP novels are, reading in general seems to be down but at the same time fantasy novels seem to do better due to the HP phenomenon?

So, I am not the ideal target customer for either game, I guess. But I do by GR products regular. The thing is, our group has around 30 different games which we play on and off, so to get enthusiastic of something new, it would have to be pretty special. But that's the trouble with old RPG gits, isn't it?
Juuso
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Monteblanco » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:38 am

I also checking both systems as both seem to be a good fit to my taste. However, as I write my own adventures and setting, I don't care much for support. I have the impression Song of Ice and Fire is a complete package, whereas Dragon Age will eventually need four boxes, and, thus, the former seems to be a better purchase for me. In the other hand, if you're looking for a full line, Dragon Age is your best bet. Not only there are four boxed sets coming but it seems that Green Ronin will use it as an introductory game, which probably means it will evolve in a fully developed line.
Monteblanco
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Dragon Age or Song of Ice and Fire

Postby ~hanzo~ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:14 am

Steve Kenson wrote:
Zapp wrote:Green Ronin have an unfortunate history of doing one-offs (releasing a core rulebook, then moving on to greener pastures).

I have to ask: where does this perception originate?

I'd have to question that perception too. I know a lot of people felt blue rose kinda got left hanging but that is about it.

Sounds like from your description, and going by just what we know about what is planned for either line right now AGE seems to fit your description.

Although I think you should ask which game has the feel that I want in your game. For example I love the sound of Age from every thing Iv herd so far and thing the Console game is a lot of fun. Although I got SONG I really don't see my self using it because its not really the kind of setting I prefer and know nothing of the novels.
~hanzo~
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Saisei » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:28 am

I think I happen to be the target market for both these RPGs.

I'm a utter Bioware fanboy and have loved almost every CRPG they have released. I was unbelievably excited about Dragon Age for the PC and have followed it since I heard about it 5 years ago. When I found out there was a PnP game coming out I was fantastically excited. My group had become somewhat disillusioned with 4e DnD after an initial honeymoon period and DA seemed like it could fill in.

I'm also a huge GRRM fan and have read each novel 3 or so times. I also own the Guardians of Order special edition leather bound rules.

So, while I am a huge fan of both, said GoO rules have never been used whereas I have played 4 games already in the DARPG and it hasn't even been released in hard copy yet.

I find it hard to judge on which will be successful but I know that myself and my gaming group enjoy a bit of everything: adventure, rp, puzzles, dungeons etc. Whereas I know that SONG has the potential for this, it fits better with DA in my opinion.

I've already put my money where my mouth is in purchasing DA and I think I'll stick with it. I'm banking on DA being a winner.
Saisei
Firebrand
Firebrand

my group

Postby highpriestrsw2 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:12 am

I can't speak for your group but for my regular weekly games at the local club I'd have better luck with DA than with SIFRP. My players from the club are all D&D gamers who have been weened on character class based systems with high magic.(and since the inception of 3.0 D&D lots of min/maxing of feats) Trying anything with them that doesn't fit that mold is a losing proposition.
My bi-weekly game at my buddy's house is quite the opposite. they would thrive in a SIFRP game because they are better at handling political maneuvering and noble house machinations. They are also an older group who started playing in games that are much different than my local gaming club D&D crowd were. They also have a little bit better grasp on social mechanics and other ideas that are not simple hack and slash/magic missile combats. A DA game in the hands of this group would be very intense and in depth with subtle nuances arising from their years of LARPs, Theater, music and art backgrounds.
Please take this with a grain of salt.
YMMV.
highpriestrsw2
Bystander
Bystander

Postby CRKrueger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:18 am

If you'd have to bet on one, I would say Dragon Age. It appears that Green Ronin has good relationship with Bioware, so as Bioware creates and releases more content, expansions, etc for Dragon Age: Origins, I would expect to see Dragon Age:RPG reflect those.

However, I don't think Song is going away either. It's an immensely popular book license and the game is excellent in how it reflects the political struggle - the real "Game of Thrones".

Each game has a different audience. DARPG I think will have a broader appeal, but SIFRP will have a core dedicated following and offers play you can't get in too many places.

Green Ronin has proved they can create a game that gives you the feel of the original license, whether each line succeeds or fails I think will boil down to how well they fill in the corners and detail things not seen in the original material (in depth map of Ferelden with details on the Bannorn for example).
CRKrueger
Bystander
Bystander

Return to General Discussion