Ninja?

Here you can discuss and ask questions about upcoming Green Ronin products and anything else that doesn't fit into one of the categories.

Ninja?

Postby AkumaDaimyo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:22 am

Will Green Ronin ever do a ninja or samurai book? I mean you guys are called "Green Ronin" after all. I haven't seen one asian setting yet. I was disapointed with that Mindscapes thing or whatever. I thought it was going to be asian. It was middle-eastern instead. I'd really like to see a good book on Ninja or Samurai and other asian classes. Heck why not do a "Classes of Renown" or something? I'm sure a lot of people would love a ninja book by Green Ronin. I loved the Drow book and the MindFlayer book. I also like Bastards and Bloodlines and Tieflings and Assimars. I also own the Drow Stronghold book. (I forget the name).

But any plans on a Ninja book or at least a asian setting? Rokugan is cool and all but not for D20. Im sure you guys can do something better.
"Some people will tell you ninja don't exist. That's exactly what the ninja want you to belive..."
AkumaDaimyo
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Ninja?

Postby REG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:57 am

AkumaDaimyo wrote:But any plans on a Ninja book or at least a asian setting? Rokugan is cool and all but not for D20.

It's good enough for d20/D&D. But I don't like it being the sole product for the Asian genre d20 market. It needs competition.

That's why I keep pestering Andy Smith of WotC to expedite the OA material into the SRD.
Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

A Generation Kikaida Fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer
REG
Booster
Booster

Postby Pagan priest » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:00 pm

The press of other projects delays it, but some day, some bright day, Green Ronin will release Dragon Fist. I'd like to see it out in time to win the 2005 ENnies.
Peace through victory!

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" --Benjamin Franklin
Pagan priest
Cohort
Cohort

Postby SassyRonin » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:59 pm

AkumaDaimyo wrote:But any plans on a Ninja book or at least a asian setting? Rokugan is cool and all but not for D20. Im sure you guys can do something better.

Dragon Fist is all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm not involved in product scheduling. I also don't know what the plan is for Dragon Fist, rules-wise. d20 System would make sense for that (or the Mutants & Masterminds rules) but this is not a scoop--I really don't know.

But the actual point of my post is that you might want to check out Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts. It's not a setting, but it is chock-full of Asian-themed monsters (using the 3.0 rules, since it's from 2002).

-Evan
SassyRonin
Triple Secret Administrator
Triple Secret Administrator

Jade Dragon and Hungry Ghosts

Postby AkumaDaimyo » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:54 pm

Oh I have that and I love it. I would just love for you guys to maybe do a book soley on ninja? Maybe have different clans or something? Or do a book on Samurai AND Ninja? I think that would be a good seller for you guys. I mean Samurai and Ninja are like bread and butter in a way. Its like the Tieflins and Assimars. Ninja and Samurai share the same setting and dont get along to well. Though I dont like that ninja are usually portrayed as bad guys or cold and unfeeling. Sengoku does a great job in their Shinobi book. I just thought you guys would do a great Ninja book!
"Some people will tell you ninja don't exist. That's exactly what the ninja want you to belive..."
AkumaDaimyo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby REG » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:34 pm

SassyRonin wrote:Dragon Fist is all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm not involved in product scheduling. I also don't know what the plan is for Dragon Fist, rules-wise. d20 System would make sense for that (or the Mutants & Masterminds rules) but this is not a scoop--I really don't know.

With all due respect, I stopped waiting for Dragon Fist last month. While I'm happy about your expanding business, I have hoped to see DF in the shelves by last year if not this year. But I guess, I no longer have the enthusiasm nor anticipation for it.

FWIW, you got one less customer harassing you to complete one book project.
Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

A Generation Kikaida Fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer
REG
Booster
Booster

Postby timemrick » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:49 pm

AkumaDaimyo wrote:I was disapointed with that Mindscapes thing or whatever. I thought it was going to be asian. It was middle-eastern instead.

Technically, Mindshadows is inspired by Southeast Asia, which in the real world was heavily influenced by the Muslims. (IIRC, Indonesia has one of the biggest Muslim populations outside of the Middle East.) So that probably explains the different feel than you were expecting. But not all of Asia is samurai and ninja--only a very small (but very cool) part of it, in fact.

That said, yes, it would be cool to see more material relating to GR's namesake. 8)

Tim
timemrick

Ninja

Postby AkumaDaimyo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:30 am

BTW are the ninja Lego things still out? I liked those. They were rad!
AkumaDaimyo
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Ninja

Postby timemrick » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:13 pm

AkumaDaimyo wrote:BTW are the ninja Lego things still out? I liked those. They were rad!

I haven't seen any new Ninja sets for a while, so checked shop.lego.com, and they don't appear to be selling them anymore. However, the latest Adventurers sub-series, "Orient Expedition", has sets inspired by China, India, Japan, and the Himilayas. And you can still get Ninja sets and/or individual pieces through auction sites like eBay, or online stores like BrickLink.com.

I use LEGO minifigs instead of traditional metal/plastic RPG minis, so am quite fond of the Ninja sets--esp. since they have many pieces useful for non-OA games, too. A variety of heads, weapons, and clothing/armor is always welcome!

Tim Emrick
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/galle ... =timemrick
timemrick

Ninja/Asian settting

Postby AkumaDaimyo » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:57 am

Well Im still hoping to see Green Ronin do something inspired by its namesake. I'd really love to see a asian setting done by these guys. I have been thinking of asian versions of subraces from other settings though. Like tiefling would be oni or something like that, ect. I dunno I just liked the idea of tiefling ninja with this kind of light blue skin and red eyes with horns and tails. Though that would make it hard to sneak about but I guess I like weird things combined with asia/ninja. :-p
AkumaDaimyo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby madwolf » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Will there be a ninja? Yes, there is and that is the green ronin.

ninja sword
madwolf
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Kisa-Do » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi all....

I hope so too. I agree there are martial arts cultures and sub cultures in every region. Korea has the Hwarang, Sulsa, Jo-Ie-Sun-nim,etc.

If they do I hope they are looking for freelancers to help! ^_~

Guy

Guy Edward Larke

Kisa-Do Martial Arts
Kisa-Do
Bystander
Bystander

Return to General Discussion