Freeport 4e at XRP

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Freeport 4e at XRP

Postby jgbrowning » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:38 am

Expeditious Retreat Press Acquires the Rights to Produce the Freeport Companion compatible with the 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons

(Coshocton, OH; March 25, 2009) Expeditious Retreat Press has acquired the rights from Green Ronin Publishing, LLC to produce the Freeport Companion compatible with the 4th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons. The book will complement The Pirate’s Guide to Freeport, a systemless setting book published by Green Ronin in 2007, and make it easy for GMs to us e Freeport in their 4e campaigns.

"We're excited about the opportunity to translate Freeport into the 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons mechanics," noted Suzi Yee, XRP's project manager of the 4e Freeport Companion. “Freeport began as a d20 System setting,” added Green Ronin President Chris Pramas, “so it’s only natural to adapt it to the new edition and XRP is the perfect company for the job.”

Expeditious Retreat Press is an award-winning company that produces books for tabletop roleplaying games. Founded in 2003 with the well-received A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, XRP has since produced over 45 titles supporting numerous rules and editions, including 9 titles compatible with the 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons since October 2008.

Green Ronin Publishing is a Seattle-based company known for its dedication to quality books and games. Founded in 2000, Green Ronin has won more awards for excellence and innovation than any other game company in the new millennium, and took home the coveted ENnie Award for Best Publisher an unprecedented three years running. With great licenses like A Song of Ice and Fire and the Black Company, groundbreaking games like Mutants & Masterminds and Blue Rose, and a roster of top flight designers and illustrators, Green Ronin Publishing is a leading light in the hobby game industry.

The 4e Freeport Companion will hit shelves in November 2009 with an estimated page count of 160 pages, retailing for $30.00 USD. Expeditious Retreat Press products are available worldwide, distributed by Impressions Advertising and Marketing.
jgbrowning
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DigitalMage » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:44 am

Clever! By licencing it out GR sidestep the GSL poison pill clause.

I will likely pick this up as I have the d20 and Savage Worlds Companions, and am just getting into 4e. With Warriors & Warlocks I will have 4 systems to run Freeport in :)
DigitalMage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ~hanzo~ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:18 am

Now its been a while since I bothered to even look at anything relating to the GSL? But isn't it by product line? Or is it not part of the product line because some one else is licensing it from GR? Or what the product line part revised?

No matter to me, just wondering how that works. Glad to have Freeport out there for even more players to enjoy.
~hanzo~
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby DigitalMage » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:32 am

~hanzo~ wrote:Now its been a while since I bothered to even look at anything relating to the GSL? But isn't it by product line? Or is it not part of the product line because some one else is licensing it from GR? Or what the product line part revised?

I haven't checked the revised GSL either but it was by Product Line, so GR couldn't do a 4e Freeport COmpanion and still produced the 3rd Era (formerly d20) Companion (or the M&M Warriors & Warlocks). However, the GSL is by company, so as long as Expeditious Retreat don't produce any OGL Freeport stuff its all golden. At least that is how I understand things.
DigitalMage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ~hanzo~ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:10 am

DigitalMage wrote:
~hanzo~ wrote:Now its been a while since I bothered to even look at anything relating to the GSL? But isn't it by product line? Or is it not part of the product line because some one else is licensing it from GR? Or what the product line part revised?

I haven't checked the revised GSL either but it was by Product Line, so GR couldn't do a 4e Freeport Companion and still produced the 3rd Era (formerly d20) Companion (or the M&M Warriors & Warlocks). However, the GSL is by company, so as long as Expeditious Retreat don't produce any OGL Freeport stuff its all golden. At least that is how I understand things.

Must be I guess or they would not be doing it. I'm not really into 4e, But I am a huge fan of Freeport. Freeport success means more Freeport goodness to come.
~hanzo~
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Zapp » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:36 am

Thank you for doing this Chris despite your reservations about WotC's new edition! *bow*

Do the license cover only this one book, or can XRP create new stuff for Freeport too...? (In a way, my question is: are XRP hired as a translator only?)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Zapp » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 am

DigitalMage wrote:Clever! By licencing it out GR sidestep the GSL poison pill clause.

My personal piece of speculation is instead that Boss Pramas doesn't get his kicks out of 4e, and this is a way for GR to support 4E Freeport without having to deal with the game themselves.

After all, GR isn't a huge company. My guess is that to do any product right most if not all its employees need to learn its rules (with the designer, developer and editor needing to grok it on a deeper level).

And that this, to Chris, would be more like actual work than just another fun rpg project...! 8)

(Again, this is merely speculation based only on a few blog posts)
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby DigitalMage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:31 am

Zapp wrote:
DigitalMage wrote:Clever! By licencing it out GR sidestep the GSL poison pill clause.

My personal piece of speculation is instead that Boss Pramas doesn't get his kicks out of 4e, and this is a way for GR to support 4E Freeport without having to deal with the game themselves.

That is also likely true, I think both would likely have been a factor.
DigitalMage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Pramas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 am

The revised GSL didn't have the by product line provision but didn't change enough to make us want to sign it either. By making this deal we get support out there for 4E Freeport fans and ensure that support is in good hands.
Chris Pramas
Green Ronin Publishing
Pramas
Ronin Chris
Ronin Chris

Return to Campaign Settings