Freeport/Walk the Plank cartomancy

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Freeport/Walk the Plank cartomancy

Postby PhilM » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:16 am

Hi all,

I'm the bloke who wrote the free fortune-telling system for Freeport & Walk the Plank that's on the Green Ronin and Freeport homepages. I've had a lot of fun with the system, but I'm curious about how others are finding it.

Has anyone read it? What did you think of the system? The presentation? I'm coming back to writing after a loooong break and would appreciate any feedback... positive or negative are both welcome, but constructive is very much preferred.

Also if you have any questions about the system feel free to post them here.

Regards,
PhilM
PhilM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MorfinTovvy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:49 am

I downloaded and read the document.
I was impressed, and it has made Me order the card game, which I did not have.

Thanks!
Donald
MorfinTovvy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby PhilM » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks Donald! I appreciate the encouragement - and I'm glad it meant more sales for our friends here at Green Ronin too :)
PhilM
Bystander
Bystander

Postby timemrick » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:38 pm

I finally read the PDF today, and enjoyed it very much. The next time I run a Freeport adventure, I'll definitely be trying to find a way to work in the deck and a reading!

And since it's my schtick, I do have a very small number of errata-ish comments to share:

p. 17, Number meanings: In the 4th paragraph, the page numbers are valid for the PDF document, but not for the page numbers on the pages themselves. Those are 36-37 and 27-28, respectively.

p. 27, Crossbones layout: In the diagram, the bottom of the "J" has been cut off.

p. 29, Other divination techniques: In the 3rd bullet entry, "Planning application" should read "Strategic consideration".

Back 'cover': In the bottom line of the broadsheet, the all-caps section should be upper and lower case, so that the text won't be so crowded.

(And yes, this is my first new "Errata & Notes" page since June. Life's been pretty 13 of Pegs-ish since then...)
timemrick

Postby Zapp » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 am

Link?
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby timemrick » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:20 am

timemrick

Proofing responses

Postby PhilM » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:11 am

Arrrr! Ya got me! but looking at your previous work, I'm slightly chuffed that that was the worst you could find :)

The only one on which I can defend myself is the last one on the back "cover"... that bottom line was a printer's gag I threw in with a little trepidation. I just liked the idea that the printers at "Foresight Press" couldn't even think ahead to the end of the line, and hadn't left themselves time on the printing contract to fix the typesetting. But I suspect you of deadpanning me now... which would be a similarly ironic blunder in someone who designed a system for reading people's "skulls"... if I weren't totally deadpanning you back :P

(Phew, that was a close one)

Anyway, thanks for the edit notes, which I really appreciated... do you think it would be worth sending the GR crew an updated version? I actually had one that had functional links to the various websites (especially the ones where people can buy Walk the Plank) - it would be good to get those in as well.

Meanwhile, here's hoping that 12 of Doubloons has flipped for you!

Cheers! (or rather, Yarrrs!)
PhilM

PS @Zapp: Sorry for the lack of link - I would have put one in, except I hadn't posted enough and couldn't include links yet. But thanks again to Tim for fixing that for me :-)
PhilM
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Campaign Settings