RuneQuest Companion for Freeport?

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

RuneQuest Companion for Freeport?

Postby DigitalMage » Mon May 19, 2008 3:02 am

So the systemless Pirates Guide to Freeport currently has companions for d20, True20 and Savage Worlds, with an M&M version coming in Warriors & Warlocks.

Would anyone like a Freeport companion for the Mongoose RuneQuest system?

MRQ is released under the OGL and there is a free licence to use the RuneQuest logo (you just effectively have to let Mongoose know) so GR could do this.

Even if PDF only it could promote Freeport to another group of people and would also likely help promote MRQ.

I got the idea when I saw the systemless Cults of Freeport book and thoughts turned to how cults are used in RQ as player character support mechanisms (though the Freeport Cults seem all "evil").
DigitalMage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby lordmalachdrim » Tue May 20, 2008 4:48 pm

I don't really known anything about Freeport but then it's never been in a system I was interested in (and have enough projects in the works that I wouldn't have time to covert it over). So I don't really know if I'd buy it but I would give it a look.
lordmalachdrim
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Juuso » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Does the Mongoose RQ have anything to do with Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying system? At least I think some of the old Chaosium games (Elric, Call of Cthulhu) used a simplified version of RQ which in turn is similar (if I am not mistaken) to the old RQ.

Anyways, I would definitely buy a BRP Freeport Companion. :yar:
Juuso
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Zapp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:48 am

Yes, if there is to be a Companion in this direction, let it be for the newly issued BRP.

A BRP Companion should be usable with not only RuneQuest but with other games as well, most notably Call of Cthulhu.
Zapp
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Kommando » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Well according to Lawrence Whitaker (who wrote the Elric MRQ game and playtested BRP), MRQ and BRQ are very close to each other. I confirmed this when I went out and bought RuneQuest Deluxe (I also own the Elric and Hawkmoon games) as well as BRP. BRP to me is kind of like True20, its very good as a toolset. Mind you, I think the two systems work best together. There is a nice conversion system between the two here.

Personally I think RuneQuest would be the best system to make a Freeport book for. Considering it already has Glorantha, Elric, Hawkmoon, Slaine, and Lankhmar as settings, Freeport would fit right in. And yes, it is open source, and the MRQ SRD is easily available.

I bought the Pirate's Guide and the True20 companion at the same time, but since the emergence of 4e, I have been veering away from d20 based systems. Mongoose RuneQuest does have that oldschool feel about it.
Kommando
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Juuso » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:10 am

I have had the chance to read the BRP rules now, and the more I think about it, the more I want to move my FP to this system. It is very well suited for swashbuckling type play as well as realistic play, as you can modify the system with several optional modules it contains. For example do you want to use hit locations or not. One thing I would like to see more is divine type magic and more spells in general. But It wouldn't be too hard to convert these from D&D, for example.

Of course, BRP could use some Freeportification to be perfect for it, and I am hopeful Freeport will have a BRP companion?
Juuso
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Campaign Settings