Freeport and Pathfinder

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Freeport and Pathfinder

Postby Nate Christen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:09 pm

With Paizo's recent announcement of its Pathfinder adaptation of D&D 3.5, I'm curious. Admittedly, as I'm just now expecting to see the D20 Freeport Companion, I'm intrigued by a supported system that will let me use all of my old Freeport materials, rather than switching to 4th Edition.

What does everyone else think?

-Nate
Nate Christen
Groupie
Groupie

Postby bryan.mullins » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 pm

I think Paizo makes good products, and has a big fan base. The move is a good one for them when you consider the amount of input they say they plan to take from the community. I look forward to reading and playing the game. I got the free PDF, but I've not read it yet. Is it all they say?

>WBM
bryan.mullins
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RembrandtBastylle » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:02 am

I'm not switching to 4E either so a Freeport companion to Pathfinder would be something I would get. In fact I might even go so far to say it's workable to drop Freeport into the Pathfinder campaign world somewheres. But then again that was the purpose all along.
RembrandtBastylle
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mvp » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:21 am

Our group is going to switch to Pathfinder RPG as soon as everyone has got their hard copy of the beta rulebook. We placed some orders around in beginning of August and Paizo delivered the books super fast but Amazon still keeps us waiting. However, I'm (and I think I share the opinion with the rest of our group) not interested at Golarion at all. I probably wouldn't purchase any Pathfinder specific Freeport products.
mvp
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RembrandtBastylle » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:07 am

I'm not particularly interested Golarion either and I have a Pathfinder description. But a Pathfinder Companion is my best hope of getting printed Freeport material. I missed out on the mad rush to grab a copy of the printed D20 version and I am certainly not going to support a 4E version. Nothing against GR I just don't like 4E and refuse to support it until they come to their sense at WotC.
RembrandtBastylle
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DigitalMage » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 am

RembrandtBastylle wrote:I missed out on the mad rush to grab a copy of the printed D20 version

Copies are still available from online sources if you can use such sources (or convince someone else to do so) - Amazon.co.uk states it is in stock and there are some 3rd party sellers on there as well.
DigitalMage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mxyzplk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Pathfinder + Freeport? Yes please!
mxyzplk
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby memorax » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:58 pm

One of things I found out from asking on the forum and that makes me happy is that PF will be pretty much self contained without having to reinvest in the core 3.5 books again. THe PF Alpha release will be a combination of PH and DMG toghther and they are releasing a PF Bestiarary in June of 2009. So chances of getting PF at least by myself have gone up.
memorax
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby DigitalMage » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:54 am

memorax wrote:One of things I found out from asking on the forum and that makes me happy is that PF will be pretty much self contained without having to reinvest in the core 3.5 books again. THe PF Alpha release will be a combination of PH and DMG toghther and they are releasing a PF Bestiarary in June of 2009. So chances of getting PF at least by myself have gone up.

eh? What is so pleasing about this? The fact that you will only need to buy 2 books rather than 3 to play Pathfinder? It seems that if you want to play Pathfinder you will need to buy some core books "again".
DigitalMage
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mvp » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 am

We've been playing Pathfinder now for some time and I have to give a bit of credit to the system. First of all, it's available free of charge, at least at the moment. Who knows what the future brings but at the moment, the core book is completely free. Other Pathfinder products are, compared to WotC books, reasonably priced, so if/when the final Pathfinder RPG is getting a price tag, it is most likely being the cheapest D&D core setting ever anyway.

Usability of Pathfinder Beta book is very good. Like said above, it includes DMG so no need to worry about carrying that tome to the playing table just for a few odd rule checks.

On the rules change over vanilla 3.5, I have to say in our group we all like it. We are playing without any house rules and that already should be saying something about the quality of the revision.

On Pathfinder in general, I don't like their artwork and I didn't like the first adventure path, also the few other Golarion-based books I've red, to me they were not anything special. But the core rules are strong. To anyone I'd say go for it, unless you prefer True20 which is also very solid.

So is it worth it? I paid 15 dollars from my hard copy of Pathfinder Beta and 90 euros from D&D 4th edition rulebooks. After a few weeks of play 4th edition lies forgotten in my bookshelf while Pathfinder gets taken out every week.
mvp
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RembrandtBastylle » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:57 am

I love the Pathfinder RPG, I have some minor tweaks for how I want to use it but otherwise use it as is. Incidentally, if anyone who runs things for Freeport takes a look at these threads I would like to point out that Pathfinder now has a compatibility page for its RPG: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/compatibility and personally, if somebody would authorize something on the order of a Freeport book for Pathfinder like say the True 20 or D20 Books that I have already bought and enjoyed, I'd be sorely tempted to buy it.
RembrandtBastylle
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Campaign Settings