Black Company Errata

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby Jackdelavert » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:04 am

Yuan-Ti wrote::o SPOILERS :o

Sorry! when your re-reading a book for the second time (3rd reading) you kind of forget that some people havn't read it yet.
Jackdelavert
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tso » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:10 pm

Sorry on the spoilers! I wasn't thinking.

I was also completely incorrect about when One-Eye bites it - sorry! You guys nailed it.
Tso
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tso » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:02 pm

Another question...

For the weapon benefit "Ornate", it says to increase the cost multiplier by X. Does that mean multiply the cost from Table 8-9, or is it referring to something else?

RJS - Any thoughts on some of the other unanswered errata? I'd still like to know what the rest of Campaign Idea #1 is. :)

Thanks much.
Tso
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jackdelavert » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:45 am

Tso wrote:Another question...

For the weapon benefit "Ornate", it says to increase the cost multiplier by X. Does that mean multiply the cost from Table 8-9, or is it referring to something else?

Thanks much.

Yes I think so!
Jackdelavert
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Lime green mist

Postby RJS » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:48 am

Jackdelavert wrote:In the example of this spell it inflicts damage per round, but the damage portion of the spell is instantanious, have i missed something? if you combine an instant effect with a duration effect does it change the damage to per round of the other effect (in this case the mist)?

Yep. If you combine an instantaneous effect with a duration effect, you take the longer of the two.
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Re: Compiled errata

Postby RJS » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:52 am

p. 68: Inspire Zeal: all allies within 20ft. or one ally within 30ft.?

At 15th level, a noble can inspire passionate anger once per day per point of the noble's Charisma bonus (minimum 1/day). All allies who can see and hear the noble, and are within 20 feet, gain a +2 morale bonus to Strength, +2 bonus to Constitution... (and so on).

p. 79: Third Magnitude +16 not +12 like on p. 151/310
Correct.

p. 91 Ghost sound. What range? I presume close 25ft. + 5ft./2 lvls.
Correct.

p. 92. Resistance: resist disease. No specification. I think this should read: You may substitute a Resistance check for your Fortitude saves to prevent instances of repeated damage and to recover from disease.
Again, correct.

p 105. Shaman staring age: obsolete entry.

Yes. The shaman is an error.
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Campaign Spark #1

Postby RJS » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:56 am

The question is, in the Campaign Sparks section on p213, idea #1 gets cut off half way through - what is the rest of it?

1. Although fighting between two nations has been heavy (be it the Lady against the Rebel, the Black Company against the Shadowmasters or even some more minor conflict), the PCs all live in a town well back from the front lines. Unfortunately, a commander on one side (it doesn’t matter which) picked this moment to make a power play, and knows there are important papers hidden within the town. The PCs see the small enemy force coming from far off, but can’t outrun it. They need to whip the locals into some kind of fighting force to hold off attackers until relief can arrive. Once relief does show up, the PCs are given a chance to join up and strike back at the commander who tried to kill them.
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby RJS » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:02 am

Tso wrote:Another question...

RJS - Any thoughts on some of the other unanswered errata? I'd still like to know what the rest of Campaign Idea #1 is. :)

Thanks much.

The Cost Multiplier indeed refers to Table 8-9. So if you have an Excellent Longword (ornate 1, lethal 1), the cost increase is 7,500 sp.

And yes. I think I've answered most if not all errata now. Sorry, buried under Thieves World. See this thread for the Campaign Spark 1.
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Tso » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:40 am

Thanks RJS, the clarifications are very much appreciated!
Tso
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Morfedel » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:20 pm

RJS wrote:
Jackdelavert wrote:In the example of this spell it inflicts damage per round, but the damage portion of the spell is instantanious, have i missed something? if you combine an instant effect with a duration effect does it change the damage to per round of the other effect (in this case the mist)?

Yep. If you combine an instantaneous effect with a duration effect, you take the longer of the two.

Where the heck did that come from? I didnt see that post anywhere.. except on my seperate thread :P
Morfedel
Bystander
Bystander

Weapon Master Class

Postby maeglin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:37 pm

The entry for the Overcome Injury ability of the Weapon Master is unclear.

THe formula reads: one half class level x Wis bonus, but all examples ignore the "1/2" and just do class level x wis bonus. (10 level Weap. Master with WIS 14 (+2) = 20 points)

Which is correct?

Also, someone mentioned that some character classes in BCCS have been taken from other Green Ronin products. Have the Weapon Master class or Sword Master PrC been used in other products? (Hint: product placement here, boys :-) )

THanks!
maeglin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jackdelavert » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:44 am

Morfedel wrote:Where the heck did that come from? I didnt see that post anywhere.. except on my seperate thread :P

about page 5 of the errata, titled Lime Green Mist ;-)
Jackdelavert
Bystander
Bystander

Errata

Postby Jackdelavert » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:47 am

Thanks for the responses, any idea when we can expect a compiled Errata list?
Jackdelavert
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tso » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:23 pm

I think we've lost RJS to Thieves World again.

*shakes fist*

Damn you Lynn and Asprin!!
Tso
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Weapon Master Class

Postby RJS » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:33 pm

maeglin wrote:The entry for the Overcome Injury ability of the Weapon Master is unclear.

THe formula reads: one half class level x Wis bonus, but all examples ignore the "1/2" and just do class level x wis bonus. (10 level Weap. Master with WIS 14 (+2) = 20 points)

Which is correct?

Also, someone mentioned that some character classes in BCCS have been taken from other Green Ronin products. Have the Weapon Master class or Sword Master PrC been used in other products? (Hint: product placement here, boys :-) )

THanks!

Off the cuff, I'd say go with the rule. It may have been a late change.
None of the classes are featured in other GR products, though some sort of show up in the Thieves' World PG (with minor tweaks).
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Re: Errata

Postby RJS » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:35 pm

Jackdelavert wrote:Thanks for the responses, any idea when we can expect a compiled Errata list?

Heh. Once I get out from under the four manuscripts due in April and Eternal Rome, it'll be next on my list.
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby RJS » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:35 pm

Tso wrote:I think we've lost RJS to Thieves World again.

*shakes fist*

Damn you Lynn and Asprin!!

If you only knew... Buried buried buried... :yar:
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby maeglin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:47 pm

Off the cuff, I'd say go with the rule. It may have been a late change.
None of the classes are featured in other GR products, though some sort of show up in the Thieves' World PG (with minor tweaks).

Thanks for the clarification. It looked that way. First impression must've been level x wis, but on revision, someone decided it was too much, and added the "1/2" to the equation.

Now back to that Thieves' World project, young man! Don't keep us waiting! :wink:
maeglin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tso » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:17 am

Another errata note, though I think my player and I have figured it out properly.

On p. 64 for the Fighter, under Bonus Action points it says:

"A fighter gains +2 action poitons every two fighter class levels."

It should probably read something like:

"A fighter gains +2 action points at first level, and every two levels thereafter."

We both had looked at that section for how this should work, and only figured it out after getting confused and looking at the table at the bottom of the page.
Tso
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Old One » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:41 pm

RJS wrote:

Woah!

Let me make sure I understand this...

If you blend a spell with a duration (such as a Fear effect) with an instantaneous damage effect, the damage continues for the balance of the spell? That seems like an incredibley "cheap" way to guarantee continuous damage.

Can you confirm this for sure?

Thanks mucho!
~ Old One (Ancient Evil Guy)
Old One
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:15 am

Well, first off, this is a "patch" until I get back to taking a look at what would be an appropriate DC increase for sustaining a damaging effect. I would suggest that the damaging effect only occur within the area of the spell, so if so mook gets caught in the blast of a continuing fear fireball, he should be able to leave it, assuming he has enough speed to do so, outside of the blast radius. The big concern is the Hold/Create Energy combo, which is insanely yucky. However, blended spells have insanely high Magic Use DCs, so it's sort of a check. But yes, it is a cheap way to cast a fireball twice or longer for that matter. Give it a try, if it seems a bit too much scale it back. I might recommend increasing the MU DC by an amount comensurate to the damage the effect deals, such as 1/2 the DC modifier added because of damage dice (+4/d4; +6/d6; and so on).
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Postby Old One » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:49 am

RJS wrote:Well, first off, this is a "patch" until I get back to taking a look at what would be an appropriate DC increase for sustaining a damaging effect. I would suggest that the damaging effect only occur within the area of the spell, so if so mook gets caught in the blast of a continuing fear fireball, he should be able to leave it, assuming he has enough speed to do so, outside of the blast radius. The big concern is the Hold/Create Energy combo, which is insanely yucky. However, blended spells have insanely high Magic Use DCs, so it's sort of a check. But yes, it is a cheap way to cast a fireball twice or longer for that matter. Give it a try, if it seems a bit too much scale it back. I might recommend increasing the MU DC by an amount comensurate to the damage the effect deals, such as 1/2 the DC modifier added because of damage dice (+4/d4; +6/d6; and so on).

Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply and I will look forward to an "official" answer. Also, another quick spell-casting question. You indicated in another post that the Magic Use roll for a stored effect is made during the "Initiator Action". Can a caster gain the benefit of taking extra time for a stored effect (essentially pre-casting for a longer period of time) to get the extra time boost to Magic Use?

The text in the book seems to indicate that, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!
Old One
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RJS » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:54 am

Yes.
Robert J. Schwalb
Game Designer/Developer
RJS
Ronin Evil
Ronin Evil

Patch?

Postby Jackdelavert » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:48 am

RJS wrote:Well, first off, this is a "patch" until I get back to taking a look at what would be an appropriate DC increase for sustaining a damaging effect. I would suggest that the damaging effect only occur within the area of the spell, so if so mook gets caught in the blast of a continuing fear fireball, he should be able to leave it, assuming he has enough speed to do so, outside of the blast radius. The big concern is the Hold/Create Energy combo, which is insanely yucky. However, blended spells have insanely high Magic Use DCs, so it's sort of a check. But yes, it is a cheap way to cast a fireball twice or longer for that matter. Give it a try, if it seems a bit too much scale it back. I might recommend increasing the MU DC by an amount comensurate to the damage the effect deals, such as 1/2 the DC modifier added because of damage dice (+4/d4; +6/d6; and so on).

For a patch this actually works very well IMHO, and requires players to become more creative then just going through a preset formula.

If it aint broke dont fix it! ;-)
Jackdelavert
Bystander
Bystander

'Nuther Qustion...

Postby Old One » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:15 am

Healing Talent (Augmented Effects) Confusion:

The Healing Talent Augmentation on page 172 indicates a +10 DC increase to go from converting 1 point to 1d3 points. The next entry shows another +10 DC increase to change die from 1d4 to 1d6.

Question: Is the "1d3" entry incorrect? Should it be 1d4? That seems to make sense and follow conventions in the rest of the book. That would give +10 to go from 1 point to 1d4 points and another +10 to increase from 1d4 to 1d6.

Thanks!
Old One
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to Campaign Settings