Freeport Sucks!

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Postby B Evil Kirby » Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:50 am

Well, according to this guy it does:

http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?s ... oduct=DIFP

=Sigh!= Reading the review, it's kinda clear what kind of "roleplaying" experience this person was expecting:

'The investigation part of finding Lucius at first is ok, but after finding the location of the dungeon (that holds Lucius), I was
really disapointed to see that the dungeon (or should I say Temple) had only 7 rooms!'

Wow. I guess there must be some kind of "rooms per dungeon" minimum that GR wasn't aware of.

Sorry, had to vent that.
B Evil Kirby
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby SassyRonin » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:47 am

Sorry, had to vent that.

That's what we're here for, B Evil. (Can I call you B Evil?)

If you're still outraged, anyone can go review any product on d20reviews.com. There is also a link underneath each review where anyone can comment on it. Just thought I'd mention those two things in case anyone here wanted to go review some games or comment on some reviews...
SassyRonin
Triple Secret Administrator
Triple Secret Administrator

Postby Heldenhammer » Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:29 am

On 2002-01-22 06:50, B Evil Kirby wrote:

Wow. I guess there must be some kind of "rooms per dungeon" minimum that GR wasn't aware of.

It's true. I heard that in the new version of the Open Game License (1.1), all d20 products are required to have a minimum of 12 rooms per dungeon, and no less than two gelatinous cubes per dungeon level!
Heldenhammer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nikchick » Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:54 am

On 2002-01-22 09:29, Heldenhammer wrote:

It's true. I heard that in the new version of the Open Game License (1.1), all d20 products are required to have a minimum of 12 rooms per dungeon, and no less than two gelatinous cubes per dungeon level!

Hah, that's half-fiend gelatinous cubes, complete with level-drain. Amateur. :wink:
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby B Evil Kirby » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:32 pm

On 2002-01-22 10:54, Nikchick wrote:
Hah, that's half-fiend gelatinous cubes, complete with level-drain. Amateur. :wink:

I'd imagine that'd be Charisma drain? Cuz getting half-fiend gelatinous cube remains on your face isn't going to do much for your looks.

Of course, maybe some players are into that sort of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
B Evil Kirby
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Patrick O'Duffy » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:43 pm

'The investigation part of finding Lucius at first is ok, but after finding the location of the dungeon (that holds Lucius), I was
really disapointed to see that the dungeon (or should I say Temple) had only 7 rooms!'

Actually, the small dungeon was one of the points that attracted me to DiF. I don't much like the dungeon-delving part of D&D - it means I have to make maps, play with figures & all that.

The fact that there was only a small dungeon - and that I got to reuse it in TiF - was a big drawcard.

(But don't get me started on the huge maps I'll need to make for the lighthouse in MiF...)

--
Patrick O'Duffy
Patrick O'Duffy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nikchick » Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:25 pm

On 2002-01-22 14:43, Patrick O'Duffy wrote:
(But don't get me started on the huge maps I'll need to make for the lighthouse in MiF...)

At least you got two books worth of warning that such a thing might be coming up. :grin:
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby Vocenoctum » Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:34 pm

I play online, so the long dungeon's are even worse :smile:
(Nothing like typing out room descriptions to get the adrenaline going!)

But, I'm not gonna use Madness, instead leading into Speaker in Dreams.
Vocenoctum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Bryarr » Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:15 pm

He may have two books, I have two days!

I procrastinate too much
Bryarr
Bystander
Bystander

Postby discjacker » Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:49 pm

OOh speaker in dreams was great have fun give them hell
discjacker
Bystander
Bystander

Postby drnuncheon » Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:55 am

On 2002-01-23 16:34, Vocenoctum wrote:
I play online, so the long dungeon's are even worse :smile:
(Nothing like typing out room descriptions to get the adrenaline going!)

Speaking as someone who's been doing a lot of DMing online...type the descriptions up in advance. It saves /so/ much time...

J
See what I'm doing with Freeport!

Visit drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour, Book Two at EN World.
drnuncheon
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Vocenoctum » Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:53 am

I've been thinking of getting powertools to do the longer descriptions, but it's not really the typing that's the problem. I was thinking of uploading pic's and referencing them during play, but I'm kind of afraid to post a bunch at once, in case they browse the server to find other room's.

But, everything seems to be going good at this time, so I won't tinker with it yet. I prefer smaller dungeon's anyway, so it doesn't get reduced to a dungeon crawl style too often.
Vocenoctum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby CHRON » Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:46 pm

Doc - enjoyed your story hour. I am in Australia and did a bit of on-line RP with my mates back in the States. Just wondering what is the best online RP format? Anyone have any suggestions? Used RPG net in past. Has it improved?

Thanks
CHRON
CHRON
Bystander
Bystander

Postby drnuncheon » Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:48 am

On 2002-02-07 21:46, CHRON wrote:
Doc - enjoyed your story hour. I am in Australia and did a bit of on-line RP with my mates back in the States. Just wondering what is the best online RP format? Anyone have any suggestions? Used RPG net in past. Has it improved?

Thanks CHRON! Glad to know I've been a little entertaining.

My online gaming is actually in a MUSH/MUX type environment - this is quite a bit of overhead for folks just wanting to run a tabletop game, though. We were lucky in that there's a 3e MUX (Treyvan, at treyvan.com 4999) and that one of the players had a friend who was willing to let us use his place for our other online game.

We picked MUX out of familiarity - it's completely cross-platform (only needs telnet, and there are plenty of good clients for any OS) and all of us had been on MU*s in the past. It's also faster and more stable than any of the other stuff I've seen, although it's completely text-based.

If you want to learn the programming language, you can even store your character sheets online and have the system calculate jumping distances, encumbrance, etc. It's not all prepackaged though so it'd require some work. In our non-Treyvan game we use Exalted (WWGS Storyteller system), so all I really needed to code was the die roller - I kept character sheets offline.

Hope that helped!

J
See what I'm doing with Freeport!

Visit drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour, Book Two at EN World.
drnuncheon
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Campaign Settings