How hunted are you parties? (spoilers)

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Postby anoxos » Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:52 pm

Mine is really in trouble. First the mess with Verlaine in TiF; they got arrested, and then caught by members of V's guard in his place just when he gets killed... Then Drac clears them, but everybody hates Drac. Then they try to hobnob at the start of MiF, and ask Lady Elise for help getting to the lighthouse. Then the whole thing blows up, the bodies are found, and the big diamond is missing. Of course PUBLICALLY Drac is now a hero, for "fighting the serpentmen to the death" at the end of MiF (the party took all the gold holy symbols to melt down, and Drac died in flames, so there is no proof he is a cultist). And what happened to the diamond? They party used it as the material component of a resurrection spell they commissioned...So now they are really in the fire 'cause they can't give it back when asked....Hahahahaha.... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anoxos on 2002-01-21 17:54 ]</font>
anoxos
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby timemrick » Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:02 pm

We're not that far along yet (starting MiF next month), but the PCs have just seized the Bloody Vengeance for themselves because they're convinced that they need a ship to get to the lighthouse before it's finished (in about a week, game-time) to foil Drac's mysterious evil scheme there. They're *extremely* paranoid that someone in power (in Drac's control or otherwise) will learn about that fight on the docks and come after them before they can scrape up a crew and sneak out of port...

Tim Emrick
timemrick

Postby Patrick O'Duffy » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:54 pm

In the early scenes of Terror, three of my PCs decided they had to get into the abandoned temple right NOW while chasing Cal.

So they attacked the guards & city watch outside the temple.

Luckily they didn't kill anyone - lots of sleep spells and subdual damage - but it didn't reflect well on them, you know?

I could have been harsher with them after that point, but I didn't want to run a 'Fugitive' campaign. So I handwaved it away after the end of Terror, saying that Drac's new spin on things had them acting in self-defence. I'll probably capitalize on it
a little in the future, but only for flavour.

(Then again... one of my plot plans is having Freeport become dominated by a pirate who's an enemy of the PCs. So I might be able to do a couple of sessions with them being hunted through the city...)

--
Patrick O'Duffy
Patrick O'Duffy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chaderick » Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:13 pm

Actually, my PCs came out of the trilogy smelling like roses! They befriended Lady Elise's faction, made an ally in Thuron, made a few friends in the city watch, and later used their connections to succeed against a minor noble who was trying to manipulate events against them. Combined with exposing the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign, and thwarting the efforts of the assassins guild of Freeport (I used the Veiled Society), they ended up in a situation so good that they were almost reluctant to leave...

They have become not only heroes, but a political force to be reckoned with!
chaderick
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Patrick O'Duffy » Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:29 pm

They have become not only heroes, but a political force to be reckoned with!

I think after we finish Madness, I'm going to try and get the PCs involved more in Freeport politics.

Complicated, of course, by a pirate they all want to kill being elected to the Captain's Council, and the city getting enmeshed in civil war...

--
Patrick O'Duffy
Patrick O'Duffy
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wilfard » Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:57 pm

I've only run DiF and "an unwelcome guest" and already some of the PC's are in big trouble.

When they tried to find the source of the disease (from the plague wraith) they immediatly wanted to go into the sewers. They got a key this way: First the Drow Necromancer used a "lesser" animate corpse spell to stand guard in a warehouse. The undead killed the warehouse's owner, and a patrol was then set up to investigate this bizare murder. Then the Drow put a Sleep on a guard, killed him and stole his key and all his other stuff.

In the sewers they met a warerat who cursed two of the PC's. After a full moon they ate two guards and a cow ( :smile: ). The other PC's then turned them in.
Since im playing a Ravenloft campaign, it isn't likely they will be cured from the curse, and there is only 2 weeks (game time) till TiF will start. Fortunatly the other PC's are very eager to find out more about the stange things that happens about Milton's Folly, so two stupid warerats is not going to foil their plans in getting on with this and their own adventures and schemes.

I haven't found out yet if i should execute the two cursed PC's, or let them try to escape (I don't even think the playes could find a good plan how to escape).
-What do You think should happend to PC's who has been caught as afflicted lycanthopes?

By the way thanks for a mighty good adventure setting!

-Wilfard
Wilfard
Bystander
Bystander

Postby gubaru » Fri Jan 25, 2002 6:34 pm

On 2002-01-25 15:57, Wilfard wrote:
-What do You think should happend to PC's who has been caught as afflicted lycanthopes?

Depends, if the players still want to play them, you think they can pull it off and you want to deal with the extra work, give them a chance to escape. If it doesn't work, kill them and let the players roll up new characters.

On the other hand, you let them escape and then use them against the PCs. People who know something about the PCs make great villains. They know the characters' strategies, what they care about, where their families are, etc. The possibilities are endless and lots of DM fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gubaru on 2002-01-25 18:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gubaru on 2002-01-25 18:36 ]</font>
gubaru
Bystander
Bystander

Postby anoxos » Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:34 am

Hmm... My party's problem isn't about good or evil. The party is definitely good. The only killed when necessary, etc. The problem is law & politics vs. the party. They tried to befriend Lady Elise, but she's a city leader and couldn't let them get away with stealing the great big diamond that was city property. No matter how much they needed it or deserved it. I'm actually codifying the "Laws of Freeport" for my campaign.

As for the lycanthropes, since you are running Freeport in Ravenloft, I would suggest starting over. The party already has enough bad stuff to deal with, without more problems INSIDE the party. Unless they REALLY want to keep them, and you are willing to run a semi-evil group, and since a cure in Ravenloft seems unlikely...
anoxos
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby drnuncheon » Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:29 pm

My PCs are hunted by everyone - they're Freeport Guardsmen. Who is trying to kill them? Let me count the thugs...

• Someone killed a guardsman (and tried to kill another) for investigating a series of mysterious deaths, including one man who jumped out of the window of the Sea Lord's palace. Guess who's on the case now?
  • A group of "businessmen" is rather perturned that their illicit shipment of kantha leaves was confiscated by a pair of guardsmen.
  • The Brotherhood is understandably upset that these two people came charging into their temple, hacked up Milos, and robbed them to boot.
  • Dru's father Tensin (a prominent elven crimelord) is slightly annoyed that his daughter is on the opposite side of the law. He might be trying to kill her. Then again, it might be his enemies behind it.

And then there are the people who want to kill them just because of their job.

Ain't life grand?

I'd direct you to ENWorld's forums for my Story Hour, but they seem to be down...
drnuncheon
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby drnuncheon » Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:59 pm

On 2002-01-28 13:29, drnuncheon wrote:
I'd direct you to ENWorld's forums for my Story Hour, but they seem to be down...

They seem to be back, so this would be an auspicious place to test my new .sig...

Visit drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour at EN World.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drnuncheon on 2002-01-28 14:00 ]</font>
drnuncheon
Dabbler
Dabbler

Postby Nikchick » Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:51 pm

Visit drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour at EN World.

Neat! I don't normally visit Story Hour, because it'd be like letting me loose in a bookstore... I'd be there forever. But I can't pass up a whole on-going saga taking place in Freeport! :grin:

Cool.
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Return to Campaign Settings