What does your Jalie Squarefoot miniature look like?

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Postby Bryarr » Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:34 pm

I'm having problems making/finding a miniature for Jalie for the end of Hell in Freeport.

Any ideas?

"You want to do WHAT?"
Bryarr
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SassyRonin » Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:45 pm

On 2002-01-14 16:34, Bryarr wrote:
I'm having problems making/finding a miniature for Jalie for the end of Hell in Freeport.

Any ideas?

I usually just grab whatever miniature is handy and somewhat reasonably sized and/or shaped to represent each monster/bad guy. I have a lot of miniatures, so it's usually pretty close.

Some people go above and beyond, though, to create just the right atmosphere for their game. Here's what Jeff Ibach, who runs DM's Haven (http://dmshaven.freeservers.com/) did <a target="_blank" href="/files/helltour.pdf">when he ran <b><i>Hell in Freeport</i></b> for his gaming group</a>. <b>(Spoiler Warning!)</b>
SassyRonin
Triple Secret Administrator
Triple Secret Administrator

Postby Bryarr » Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:33 pm

Wow! That is very cool!
In regards to miniature, I tend to do the same thing, (i.e. use whatever is handy), except when fighting major NPC's. In those cases I like to get a suitable mini to represent them, and to let the players know this isn't some ol' random encounter. (Unless, of course, deciet is neccessary....)
Bryarr
Bystander
Bystander

Postby timemrick » Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:45 pm

I haven't run Hell in Freeport yet, but here are some ideas I've used in other games.

I used to own a lot of metal minis, but never used them much because I didn't have the time to devote to painting them. (I've since passed the bulk of them on to someone who does.) I got more use out of the cardboard counters from the old 1st ed. Battlesystem boxed set, because they were often easier to differentiate, transport, and sort than a mass of unpainted minis.

When I joined a roommate's AD&D game a few years ago, I used those counters and some of my minis to supplement his meager collection. Telling the PCs and NPCs apart was sometimes a problem, so I struck on the idea of using my LEGO figures (mostly Castle sets) to represent the PCs. This was a hit, and I've been doing it for most games I've run since. At least two other GMs I know have adopted the idea for their games.

In games I GM now, I use LEGO for the PCs and for important NPCs and monsters. (I've figured out how to make centaurs, minotaurs, and giant cobras, among other things.) For the rest, I use a combination of Cardboard Heroes (SJ Games), those old Battlesystem counters, and a random collection of cheap plastic animal toys accumulated since childhood.

The Castle, Star Wars, Adventurers, Ninjas, and Harry Potter sets are your best bet for materials for making your own D&D LEGO minis: "medieval-ish" bodies, headgear, hair, weapons, & accessories, plus lots of animal figures.

Suggestion for a LEGO Jalie (based on the HiF cover): Start with a Darth Maul or Emperor Palpatine body, cloak and cowl. Replace the head with a skeleton's skull. Make him taller by sticking black 1x1 bricks on his feet, then put him on a 2x3 (or larger) flat base for stability. Use two of those 1x1 flat pieces with the protruding clip to extend the arms and give him claws; the bottom of the 1x1 part will snap over the non-tapered side of the hands. (He can hold weapons this way, but be careful not to snap off a claw moving him around the table.) If he still doesn't look tall enough, stick a 1x2 brick between the torso and legs.

Tim Emrick
timemrick

Postby Bryarr » Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Wow, thanks for the idea!
I have actually already been using LEGO bricks to represent various structures in my campaign (i.e. the pedestal in the top room of the Lighthouse, and more recently, the entrances to the Least, lesser, and greater passages in HiF's Cathedral)

I have also found Mage Knight figures, from games workshop, work great as well. Just snap 'em off their base, glue them to a 1"x1" base, and viola!

I work in a game store, so we get new miniatures all the time. I'm still searching for the right body, though. I've got a great head. Hmmmmm....
Bryarr
Bystander
Bystander

Return to Campaign Settings