Firearms in Freeport!

This forum is for the discussion of Green Ronin's various campaign settings, such as Freeport, Thieves' World, Black Company, and the Mythic Vistas titles.

Postby MadJack » Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:50 am

I was wondering if any other DM's were using that fine artical by Chris Pramas, as which was in the Dragon d20 Special?
Keep yer paws of me golden dingits!
MadJack
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Lizard Lips » Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:27 am

I was considering using Privateer Press' rules for firearms... I haven't seen the d20 article. How are the rules?
Lizard Lips
Bystander
Bystander

Postby vortex » Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:34 pm

I just used the rules for firearms in the DMG, but I think the Dragon rules are better and plan to switch over top these when my game resumes (in 2003).
vortex
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MadJack » Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:23 am

I checked out the Privateer Press rules and they are comparable, if very different in
flavor. The Dragon rules cover weapons more primitive in nature, with fixed reload
times. ( though feats can reduce reload times ) Most of the article is used to describe
how firearms came to be in Freeport, and who makes them, and which models can be
bought. Maybe if we ask real kindly one day the article could be posted as a Focus on
Freeport. ( though that is probably a licensing nightmare )

Oh...ya, the DMG has reload times that are too fast for me..
MadJack
Bystander
Bystander

Postby chaderick » Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:28 am

What I fell in love with is the Critical Miss table. It was fair and efficient. We have long had one in my campaign for misses with melee or missile weapons, but there are some unique opportunities to err with a firearm!
chaderick
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nikchick » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:08 am

On 2002-01-11 08:23, MadJack wrote:
Maybe if we ask real kindly one day the article could be posted as a Focus on
Freeport. ( though that is probably a licensing nightmare )

Actually, Chris has made arrangements for that information to be included in the Freeport city book. :smile:

Nicole
Nikchick
Mean Ronin
Mean Ronin

Postby MadJack » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:28 am

On 2002-01-11 09:08, Nikchick wrote:

Actually, Chris has made arrangements for that information to be included in the Freeport city book. :smile:

Nicole

[/quote]

Thanks to the Sea Lords for sharing that we bit of knowledge. You can be sure MadJack
will keep that info in close confidence.
(Snook, fetch me a printing press!)
MadJack
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vocenoctum » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:32 am

But, if Firearms are the great equalizer, so easy to use for anyone...why are they an exotic feat? :smile:
Vocenoctum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MadJack » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:57 pm

On 2002-01-16 08:32, Vocenoctum wrote:
But, if Firearms are the great equalizer, so easy to use for anyone...why are they an exotic feat? :smile:

Arg I'm being baited....must resist
Doh!
Lots of ways to look at it. In the Freeport Article, as written guns have only been around
for a short while, er "five years ago...". Seems to be exotic to me. I would argue that at
one time the short sword was an exotic weapon. You can look at it from a game balance position. Do you realy want a 1st level lizardman thief to be able to toss a great sword as a 30ft sneak attack? AND dodge while doing so? Lastly...gunns can be a royal pain in the butt to use effectively. Anyone can shoot a gunn, try reloading one!
:smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MadJack on 2002-01-16 21:01 ]</font>
MadJack
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Vocenoctum » Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:07 pm

Actually, that's one thing I was thinking of, requiring a feat to load a firearm, but none to actually shoot it, but since my current game isn't likely to use firearms, I've decided not to worry about it :smile:
Vocenoctum
Bystander
Bystander

Postby anoxos » Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:57 am

I am using the Firearms in Freeport article as written. I think it is reasonable to make it an exotic weapon proficiency. I consider these items "blackpowder weapons" which mean that there is no set "cartridge" to load...

Given a rag, a horn of blackpowder, a bag of pellets, and a ramrod, could you load a blackpowder rifle correctly, having perhaps only seen one in passing? It involves getting the right size ball, and the correct amount of powder in the barrel in the right order and at the correct pressure so that they are expelled under pressure, and not so tight that the gun barrel explodes instead! :wink:

Besides, they are not unbalancing and in fact quite limited in practicality. Wet powder won't fire, and dry powder is quite unstable, meaning a PC carrying it will take damage from exploding powder if they are caught by a fire spell or effect....
My players keep saying I have a taste for blood...I'll answer them as soon as I'm done with my steak tartare...
anoxos
Dabbler
Dabbler

Return to Campaign Settings